Tuesday, February 5, 2008

My New Haircut

1st update: My grandpa died last week, so I just want him to know that I love him and he will be missed.
R.I.P. Grandpa Ray
Now for a Buenos Aires update:
I got a new haircut today, and am currently one of 10 people in BsAs without a mullet, gotta love the porteño style. The guy at the haircut place spent about 30 minutes and made sure he got every hair right. The total cost was 20 pesos. For $17usd at pro cuts in the states I can get a 42 year old grandmother of 8 butchering my hair, itching the track marks on her arm, and accidently dropping a cigarette butt onto my lap, all in under 15 minutes! Hooray!


the word of the day is: Porteño

A porteño is a person native to Buenos Aires, and much like a Texan, they are proud to let you know about it.

The way they live their lives is the way I want to live mine. Porteños don't own watches, if they say they will be somewhere at 7, they will be there at 8. At a restaurant it takes 30 minutes to get your drinks and over 2 hours to get in and out, and everybody is cool with it. America can learn from this. They also take vacationing very seriously here. Pretty much everyone takes a month off during either in January or February. My roommate is a lawyer, and he goes into the office at noon, holla! Dinner doesn`t begin until well after 9, and the bars dont close until 8am. However, people dont get housed here like they do in the states, because porteños aren`t racing to beat the 2am last call, and getting borracho (drunk) is not becoming of a porteño, that is for the touristas. Here a drink is communal and meant to be enjoyed, not pounded. Porteños also drink mate, which if you stay tuned, will be the next word of the day.


I started back at school yesterday and it is going well. I am building my vocabulary, so I hopefully soon I will be able to communicate with my roommate at a level slightly higher than Helen Keller. I went to a drum circle last night that was unreal. 15 drummers are lead by 1 maestro who through a series of hand signs he invented are able to improvise amazing beats. I have some cool pictures from it that I will post the next chance I get.


Tomorrow I am going with my friends to Museum, an after-work club in San Telmo, I went last week and had a great time.


Dancing to some disco at Museum



Waving the white flag afte I was unable to finish a 2 pound steak at La Cabrera


Until next time,
Kyle



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ask your lawyer roommate if his firm will hire me as a summer associate.

Anonymous said...

first off, sorry about your gramps. i realize i'm only a few weeks late with this. i've been completely inundated with starting this new job. i love it so far. but i've actually been occupied with work.

the title of this blog reminds me of jaagerbombs! jaagerbombs!... and i'm sure that was your intention.

dude, natalie is absolutely gorgeous. glad things are great with the two of you.

porteno... i can respect people proud of who they are in the same manner of us Texicans!